Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Days of December


Tyler's Ornament: Given December 2007


I can't believe so much time has gone by since I've written on this blog, and even more so, I can't believe that it is December already....and nearing the one year birthday and anniversary of the passing of my baby boy. In some ways it feels like it was yesterday, and it some ways it feels like a lifetime ago.

In losing a child, you don't just grieve the time you had together, you grieve all the moments that you'll never have. That's what makes grieving a lifelong process. There will always be moments when I think "Tyler would have been here."

I have really been okay with my friends' babies, and with holding them, and being sincerely happy for them. It's the random things that get me sometimes. Like walking through Old Navy and spotting that baby blue section that I used to browse. Or being in a grocery store and hearing a baby cry from 5 aisles away...the sound almost haunts me.

And now in December, it's the crisp cold air that brings his memories back even more. It's the twinkle of a Christmas light and the smell of our woodstove that bring back that ache in my heart and remind me of what I once had.

And in case you may wonder, with his anniversary approaching...you may feel at a loss for what to do. You can do or say whatever you're comfortable with...no one needs to feel like they need magic words for me. I'm okay with people talking to me about him. I'm always okay with that. I may not always be in the mood for a question though or a "how are you dealing with things." It's nothing personal...although I enjoy talking and sharing about him, sometimes questions force you to process something that a statement does not. I appreciate though any words of remembrance, thoughts or prayers that people have offered recently. It lets me know that he has not been forgotten...as that's my fear that he will be.

There has been so much on my heart and mind that I would like to write about on here. So many moments of healing, so many things I've learned, and so many moments that I've just missed my little boy. But mostly, it's the learning to let go of the pain, and instead holding on more tightly to the joy of the moments. It's been about the moving on from the "what-if's" and the "why's" and just letting the peace of God fill those spaces instead. It's been about me choosing to believe in the dark what I had always known in the light.

I have told a lot of his story on here, but I have yet to tell the story of "Six Days." It's taken me a while, but I'd like to give a bigger glimpse of our unforgettable time with him. I know all this may feel heavy to read, but it will be from my heart...and I don't know any other way to tell it.

6 comments:

michelle said...

i love you so very much. i miss tyler and his sweet little ways. i look forward to reading your reflections on those six priceless days.....

Anxious AF said...

I would love to hear more about your 6 days with your sweet boy. Thinking of you, this month especially.

Anonymous said...

I'll chime in with can't wait to read about your time with your son - I love you and I'm praying for you! Don't fear that he will be forgotten. As long as people love you, they will love and remember him, and that will be forever!!

-Debbie Merki

StacyandChad said...

Jenn, remembering you in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time!
I look forward to reading about your time with Tyler!

Anonymous said...

We were pregnant together due just a week apart. I think of you and sweet little Tyler everytime I hold my sweet Alexa Grace. Thank you for sharing so much with us through this blog and all the wonderful times and memories about and with Tyler. I am praying God's peace for you and Mike this month.

Will and Julia's Mommy said...

Jenn -

I hate that you know how I feel and I know how you feel. Reading your post reminds me of what was going through my head just last month as we reflected on the year since our sweet son's birth and passing.

My 29 days with Will and your 6 days with Tyler will be with us everyday of our lives. Like you, I love to talk about Will and at times probably make people feel uncomfortable, but his story and his life, in my mind, need to be shared.

With infertility and infant loss, nothing seems more difficult... but I know that there is a plan for both of us. God has shown us this time after time.

Thinking of you during this month and hope that you lean on your faith as much as you need to. It is not how much we lean on God, it is how little we actually do.

You and Mike were blessed with those 6 amazing days with Tyler and I would love to hear more about each of those days.

Aimee