Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Another "First"

This past Sunday morning during church, I could tell Mike had something on his mind. He was a little more serious-faced than usual. I asked him if something was wrong. He hesitated, shrugged, then said he would tell me later. Now, girls, any of you out there know that we cannot let that go. But I wish I had.

He leaned over to me and said, "Your due date was April 5th, right?"

I nodded.

Then I got it.

He would have been one year old this weekend had the preterm labor never happened.

I'm usually the one pretty good with rememebering dates, but this time I didn't. I tried to blink back the tears. It wasn't working. I slipped out for a minute, then came back in. Thought that did the trick, but it did not.

Why fight the tears at this point? I think people get used to see me crying.

I get flashes sometimes of the "would have been." And right then, I saw Mike holding our dark-haired, cute little boy. But then I looked over and saw Mike sitting, leaning forward, elbows on his knees, looking so sad.

You know, I've always wanted to be a mommy. I was the junior high kid that volunteered to help in the nursery, because that's how much I have always loved babies. But even stronger than that desire, is my desire to see Mike get to be a Daddy. He wants that so bad. And it would fill my heart with so much joy to someday get to see that happen for him.

The first Sunday of every other month is an annointing service. For anyone who is not familiar with this, it is not a healing service type-thing you would see on t.v. Anyone is invited to go forward for emotional, spiritual, or physical healing. The pastor stands down below the stage, annoints you with oil, and says a prayer for you. I told him why we were there...for continued healing for our loss... for the wound that never goes away, and to be blessed again with another baby someday.

After all we have been through, there is still hope. We still hope for another baby that will be healthy and live with us. People ask us if we are interested in adopting. I value the gift of adoption, but for now, it is not for us.

So, back to Sunday. After the annointing, others were praying with us up front. It's always an emotional prayer for me. Good thing the annointing is toward the end of the service, because given my puffy, "gone-into-the-ugly-cry" face, I felt better just leaving church after that.
As we were walking out, I could hear the words being sung at that point from the service. Words from a song that is hard for me to sing at times, yet freeing and releasing for me to sing as well. Mike and I both commented later how it could not have fit the moment more for us--

"You give and take away.
You give and take away.
My heart will choose to say,
Blessed be the name."

He gives and takes away. Now, nowhere in that tune is there a line that says you'll know why he takes away. I think that's way that song is hard to hear. It simply just says He gives and takes away, that's all. After what we've been through, that song can almost make me picture an unloving God that yanks things away after he dangles them like a carrot. The song makes me remember the times right after his death when we wondered why God never saved him. Why he allowed it to happen. Sometimes we struggle in wondering if God thought we would be bad parents. Yes, we know that's not true, but it's an honest thought.

But the song also reminds me of other things I've dealt with and decided through all this. Faith in God is not conditional on my circumstance. It is not dependent on whether I have the "warm fuzzies" in my heart or not.

So, my heart does still choose to say it. Because when the heart isn't automatically feelin' the good vibes in the down times, you can still make the choice to say it. You can still make the choice to believe in more than your pain.

You can still make the choice to press on, and HOPE. You can still make the choice to BELIEVE.

Because God is not done with us yet.

Trust me, this is not the end of our story.

"Be confident in this, that He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it." Phil. 1:6

7 comments:

The Burgess Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Burgess Family said...

I would love to tell you it gets easier each year but year 3 will be here in June for us and it is still hard. Praying for you AND Mike this week as you deal with the what could have beens but also as you remember the wonderful 6 days you had with Tyler. I by no means mean to sound harsh with this but 6 days is a lifetime for some folks. We were blessed with an hour with Hope and I always wonder about her eye color, her smile, her dimples... things we never got to see and I know won't see here on Earth. But I know that she and Tyler are having a big time playing on that play ground in the sky watching down over us. May your memories keep you strong and give you faith and courage as you continue to love and remember Tyler.

Will and Julia's Mommy said...

You are a good Mom... and I say that you "are", because you ARE Tyler's Mommy! Even though he is not with you here on earth, you are still his Mommy! And a fantastic one that gave him so much love for those 6 wonderful days. I always say that Will had a full life... even though it was only 29 days - it was a full life.

I know what you mean about that song... I too fight the tears and sometime wish it wasn't so personal. He did take our babies from this earth, but for something bigger and better than we can ever imagine. Someone once told me that we may never know during our lifetime what Will's impact on earth will be, but I beg to differ - I feel it everyday... in the person I have become, in the relationships I have created, the things I continue to be invloved in and most importantly with the commitment I have to my faith.

Whether it is your due date, Tyler's actual birth date, or the day he became an angel... every day is a special day because it is one day closer to the day you will be with him again. It seems like a long time for us, but for our little ones, it will be only a blink of an eye away.

I pray that you have the family that you always dreamed of, that you will be Mommy to another sweet baby and Mike will be that great Daddy too.

I think of you often and pray that you never give up hope because you deserve it so much! You deserve the dream of parenthood.

Hugs,
Aimee

Anonymous said...

Jenn I look down the side bar of your blog and see the titles of your posts and wonder how you got there. None of us ever want to speak the words cancer and loss and so many other things that have happened this past year. I am praying for you and your whole family in these times. I also PRAISE GOD for his goodness in these times. You have been such a blessing to me. Praying for you everyday!
Jessica

Anonymous said...

My sweet Jenn,

You will never know this side of heaven ALL the reasons God "took away." However, one reason is to prove His glory through your dealing with your loss. To show that God is still a God full of grace and love - even at our lowest point of life.

He WILL give you absolutely everything you need in this life. He has promised you the desire of your heart and He, the Creator of your heart, knows exactly what that entails.

I love you so much and I admire you for sharing such personal, precious thoughts. You were created for this!

Debbie Merki

Beth Johnson said...

So glad to see you posting again. Those dates are always so hard. Some years they come upon me without me realizing and then other years, they are blow in like a storm. Deal with them the best you can, at the feet of the Cross.

Beth

Jessica said...

Hi Jenn,
My mom, Charlotte Murphy, sent me your blog and I can't help but send you a message. Your amazing faith and strength through such an incredible heartache is truly inspiring.

I have a friend who wrote a book called "Naming the Child" and set up a website where parents who have lost a child can go and share their stories. I thought perhaps you could share your story there as well so that you can help comfort others with the comfort God has given you. The website is http://namingthechild.com/

You and your husband will be in my family's prayers as the new life inside of you grows and develops. May God bless you exceedingly and abundantly beyond anything you can imagine!